ICARE for Social Justice
Spring Summit Conference 2023 (#ICARE4Justice)
May 9th-13th · Hartford & Storrs, Connecticut, United States
The Intersectional and Comparative Advancement of Racial Equity for Social Justice
The purpose of the Global Summer Summit is to bring together a group of transnational critical scholar-practitioners to analyze, assess and design important considerations for establishing a global strategy and framework for advancing equity for racially and ethnically minoritized communities in education research, praxis and policy. Participants in the summit will have the opportunity to share best practices with each other as they present their diversity and inclusion research related to the promotion of access and equity for racially and ethnically minoritized communities in higher education. Participants will also have the opportunity to cultivate global frameworks centered on racial equity.
The overall plan is for this summit to result in several conference deliverables to disseminate the global framework cultivated including a podcast series, a white paper outlining the framework, a transnational grant, symposia panels, and a special research journal issue. The Intersectional and Comparative Advancement of Racial Equity for Social Justice is a program designed to advance graduate students, faculty, policy makers and community organizers interested in global issues related to racial equity, intersectionality, social justice, decoloniality and anti-colonialism.
Preparing to Depart:
Passports & Visas
Passport: Make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 month after the date of your return.
Non-U.S Passport Holder: Please refer to your country of origin for information on passports.
- Visa Waiver Program: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visa-waiver-program.html
- Applying for a Visa: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visitor.html
Booking Your Flight
Airport to fly into:
The closest airport to the conference is: Hartford Bradley International Airport (BDL): https://bradleyairport.com/.
Larger airports that might have more arrival options include:
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) located in Boston, Massachusetts: https://www.massport.com/logan-airport/
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) located in New York City, New York: https://www.jfkairport.com/
- LaGuardia Airport (LGA) (offers some/limited international travel) located in Queens, New York: https://www.laguardia-airport.com/
See below for airport transportation options.
Money & Banking
Currency in the United States: U.S. Dollar
- Learning the exchange rate before departing is very important.
- If you intend to use your personal credit and debit card while in the United States, please make sure to notify your bank. It is important to learn about all the transaction fees that you might incur while abroad. Some credit cards have better fees than others.
- Do not bring too much cash or exchange cash at the airport due to high fees.
- Make copies/scan/photos of your ATM/Credit Cards
- Know how to report your card stolen (find out your card company’s process ahead of time)
- Pack a day bag or a little backpack is a must for sightseeing
- Leave expensive or irreplaceable items (heirlooms, jewelry, high-end electronics, etc.) at home
- Do not over pack.
- Many international electricity and plug-ins are different than in the U.S.; you will need an adapter and converter in order for your plug-ins to work. Both items can be purchased before leaving.
- Luggage weight restrictions vary on each airline. Make sure you check the airline’s website for international restrictions. They will ask you to pay extra if you go over or they may ask you to remove things
- Pack in your carry-on:
- Physical Passport, Copy of your passport
- Medications (in original containers)
- Electronics - i.e. Laptop, camera
- A few toiletries – i.e. toothbrush, and change of clothes in case luggage is lost
While in Connecticut:
Transportation From the Airport to the Hotel
Participants are expected to make their own plans to get to the hotel. There are multiple options of transportation to Hartford Marriott Downtown from Bradley Airport, which include the following:
- Taxis/Rideshare: Most convenient method of transportation, but it will also be the most expensive. There will be signs with directions on how to get to the taxi area from the baggage claim.
- Shuttle Buses: CTtransit provides a dedicated bus, called the 30-Bradley Flyer, to conveniently link Bradley International Airport and downtown Hartford Union Station. The Bradley Flyer provides semi-express, direct service to the Connecticut Convention Center and Union Station in Hartford. The trip last approximately 30 minutes and currently operates every 40 minutes on weekdays and Saturdays, and approximately every hour during the early morning hours, late at night and on Sundays. The fare is $1.75 for one-way. Click here for route map, schedule and further information. The hotel is located approximately one mile from the train station, roughly a 20 minute walk or 5 minute taxi ride.
Participants arriving from JFK or LaGuardia Airports in New York or Logan Airport in Boston can travel to Hartford Union Station via bus or train. The hotel is located approximately one mile from the train station, roughly a 20 minute walk or 5 minute taxi ride. Train schedules with service to Hartford can be found on Amtrak, and intercity bus service from New York or Boston can be found on Greyhound or Peter Pan.
Public Transportation in Hartford
Enjoy the style and luxury of our downtown Hartford Hotel. Located in the Front Street District of Hartford, the Marriott Hartford Downtown overlooks the Connecticut River and is interconnected with the Connecticut Convention Center. Our 409 room upscale hotel has been attracting business and leisure travelers alike since 2005. Local Hartford attractions within walking distance include Infinity Hall, Spotlight Theater, Wadsworth Atheneum, The Bushnell, Old State House, and the State Capitol Building. The Connecticut Science Center, an interactive educational science museum for adults and children, is adjacent to the hotel. Other area highlights include the UCONN Hartford Campus, Xfinity Theatre, Travelers, Aetna, and Pratt & Whitney. This Marriott hotel combines the beauty of a grand hotel with contemporary amenities including a spa, fitness center, swimming pool, upscale dining at VIVO, a stylish bar scene at L BAR, Starbucks lounge, and high-speed Internet access
Arrivals: Monday, May 8th, 2023
Conference: Tuesday, May 9th, 2023-Saturday, May 13th, 2023
Departures: Sunday, May 14th, 2023
Last Day to Book: Friday, April 7th 2023
Reach out to Kelly Schlabach (Kelly.Schlabach@UConn.edu) and Yasmin Elgoharry (Yasmin.Elgoharry@UConn.edu) if you would like the booking link.
Things To Do in Hartford
Where to eat:
A list of restaurants in downtown Hartford can be found here: https://hartford.com/restaurants/
Where to shop:
Hartford's primary retail center is located in the Pratt Street Historic District, listings can be found here: https://prattst.com/
Attractions within walking distance of the hotel include:
Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art
Connecticut Science Center
Connecticut State Capitol
Connecticut Old State House
Charter Oak Cultural Center
Lincoln Financial Sculpture Walk at the Riverfront
Mark Twain House and Museum
Harriet Beecher Stowe Center
Real Art Ways
*HartBeat Ensemble is presenting Requiem for an Electric Chair on Saturday, May 13th at 7:30pm. Tickets are $25.00. Performances will be at The Carriage House Theater, 360 Farmington Avenue. Requiem for an Electric Chair tells the true story of Congolese playwright, actor, director and producer Toto Kisaku, who was sent to death row for his musical comedies that educated the public about disinformation and child abuse by local churches and the complicit role of the government. There will be a post show conversation afterward.
The Bushnell Center for the Performing Arts
Sea Tea Improv