International Travel Information

In July 2015, the University of Connecticut adopted 2 distinct policies addressing international travel for University-Sponsored or University Related Purposes*. The policies state:

I. Policy on Travel to Countries with a U.S. Department of State Travel Warning/Alert

This policy establishes how, when and where faculty, postdoctoral research associates, staff, and students may travel abroad for university sponsored or university-related purposes. All travelers (faculty, staff, undergraduate students, graduate students) must complete an online Travel Waiver Application to have travel approved by Global Affairs. In addition, all student travelers must also complete an online Student Travel Registration Application with Global Affairs. Access undergraduate, graduate and UConn Health applications with these hyperlinks.

Download the policy summary for travel warning countries or visit here for full details. Please note the addendum in the policy pertaining to the new tiered levels of Travel Advisories.

II. Policy on Student Travel

This policy addresses important requirements for ANY student travel abroad for university-sponsored or university related purposes. It ensures access to essential travel information, provides skills to assess potential risks and appropriate actions to minimize risks, and creates University awareness of when and where students are taking advantage of global experiential opportunities.

Download the policy summary for student travel or visit here for full details. Undergraduate and Graduate UConn students traveling out of the country for academic reasons (e.g. to conduct research, on a University-sponsored volunteer trip, etc.) or in a professional capacity must register with UConn Global Affairs in accordance with UConn’s policy on student travel.

Students will be automatically enrolled and covered by Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) Health Insurance for the duration of their trips upon their completion of the UConn Global Affairs student travel registration form.

On the registration application is a $25 registration fee payable via credit card. Once the insurance application is completed, UConn Global Affairs will enroll applicants with CISI coverage. The cost of applicants' CISI International Health Insurance is covered by the University. Click here for information on what this insurance covers.

UConn students traveling with an organized student group:

  1. The group leader must meet with the Director of Experiential Global Learning, to go over the details of the trip. Contact to schedule a meeting.
  2. After the meeting, each group member individually completes the online student travel and health insurance registration form.
*University-sponsored or University-Related: purposes include credit-bearing Experiential Global Learning programs, internships, research, service learning and volunteer opportunities, conferences, registered student organization activities, student groups affiliated with academic departments, and other non-credit-bearing University programs. This includes the following:
  •  Any travel in connection with activities for which academic credit is sought, including programs operated through UConn’s Office of Global Affairs: Experiential Global Learning (OGA:EGL), travel as part of a formal academic program or course of study, internship credit, and travel for independent study credit (including retroactive requests for academic credit).
  • Any travel for purposes of performance, sporting events, service learning, conferences, meetings, professional development or volunteerism organized by a UConn registered student organization or student group affiliated with an academic department of the University.
  • Any travel for which funding is sought through a University-administered account or a student government-administered account within UConn.
  • Any travel that requires travel approval through UConn Travel Services and/or that requires international health insurance through the University-contracted insurance plan.

Travel to Embargoed Regions

U.S. law restricts travel to Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea, and the Crimea region of Russia/Ukraine even for academic/research purposes. Failure to comply with detailed regulatory requirements for such travel may result in criminal or civil penalties for travelers or the University.  To ensure compliance, we remind you that ALL faculty, students, staff, and administrators, regardless of citizenship or immigration status, MUST obtain written approval from UConn’s OVPR Export Control Office ( BEFORE organizing any travel to any Embargoed Region. Travelers must seek approval for each new trip.