The Center for International Students and Scholars serves as a hub for international students and visiting scholars to receive immigration support and engage in intercultural programs and activities. Housed within the Center are International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS), Intercultural Programs and Support, and the University of Connecticut American English Language Initiative (UCAELI).
ISSS supports the greater internationalization of the University of Connecticut through the development and delivery of services and programs that help our international students, scholars, faculty and staff accomplish their academic and professional goals at UConn.
To further this mission, we:
- Ensure UConn’s compliance with U.S. immigration regulations governing visa sponsorship for international students, scholars, faculty, and staff.
- Provide quality service and assistance with immigration and intercultural matters to UConn-sponsored visa holders and their families through advising, programs, workshops and events.
- Serve as the resource for academic and administrative units in the collaboration, hiring and sponsorship of international students, scholars, faculty and staff.
- Provide on-going orientation and support services in a welcoming environment designed to foster cultural adjustment to the U.S.
- Build links within the UConn community via cultural activities and programs.
Advisors counsel international students and scholars on a variety of immigration/visa issues such as Practical Training, Change of Status, Program Extensions, Leave of Absence, Reduced Course Load and Employment authorizations. International Advisors are available to meet by appointment. Learn More...
International Student & Scholar Services Team Members
Arthur Galinat, Director
Catherine Barachkova, International Advisor
Nadine Boudissa, International Advisor
Annie Casarella, International Advisor
Lulu Dong, International Advisor
Dana Foster, International Services Coordinator
Neena Kapoor, International Advisor
Jennifer King, Assistant Director of SEVIS Operations
Benjamin Kohanski, International Services Specialist
Leslie Lawrence, International Advisor
Eddie Pavliscsak, International Services Specialist
Huong Pham, International Advisor
Natalia Turgeon, Front Office Coordinator
Intercultural Programs and Support provides support for international students and scholars and faculty and staff who work with our international population. UCAELI has provided English instruction to more than 3,000 students from countries throughout the world since 1990. UCAELI supports all students in pursuit of their goals by providing high quality instruction and access to the university’s academic, professional, social and cultural resources. Learn More...
UConn American English Language Institute (UCAELI) Team Members
Jeannie Slayton, Ph.D., Director of Intercultural Programs and Support/UCAELI
Ana Colón-Wallace, Program Assistant II, UCAELI